Yep, mullet throwing is a thing. According to the Flora-Bama Lounge and Oyster Bar website, a portion of the $15 fish flinging fee goes to local school education and prevention programs “to address drug and alcohol abuse, tobacco, mental health issues and violence.” It is an interstate event, where people stand in a circle in Florida and fling a dead Mugil cephalus, i.e. flathead grey mullet, as far as they can into Alabama.
As Fish Nerds, we suggest that other states get into the action.
- Manhattanites in New York could catapult crappie into New Jersey because they always crap on New Jersey.
- Residents of Kansas could chuck bigmouth buffalo at cornhuskers in Nebraska (in honor of the beloved bison).
- Volunteers from Tennessee could throw rainbow darters at Mississippians just to tick off the gay-haters.
Our favorite parts of this story
- Each year, the event raises over $20,000.
- The lucky winners get a trophy and a gift certificate and “any other crap we find laying around”
- More than 35,000 people from all over the country are believed to have participated in the three-day fish fling.
- Fish are reused—until they can’t be
35,000 People Gathered to Throw Dead Fish on a Beach This Weekend